Rescheduling Request for FY 2007, Project 200733200

 
Access CBFWA's Status of the Resource (SOTR) website or BPA's Report Center for more information on project 200733200
SOTR Project & Correspondence
Project
Pisces Report
Project Status Work Funded
Section 1: General Administrative Information
BPA Project Number: 200733200
BPA Project Name: EXP MITIGATION NUTRIENT LOSS BOISE-PAYETTE-WEISER
BPA Contract Number,
Release and Name
(if applicable):
No 1: 34596 Release: Contract Name: EXP MITIGATION NUTRIENT LOSS BOISE-PAYETTE-WEISER
COTR/BPA Project Manager: Jan Brady
Agency, Institution or Organization Requesting Rescheduling: Idaho Fish and Game
Funding Type: unknown
Contact Person
First Name: Gregg
Last Name Servheen
Address: 600 South Walnut St
City, State Zip: Boise, ID 83707
Phone: 208-287-2713
Fax: 208-334-2114
Email: gservheen@idfg.idaho.gov

Section 2: Financial Information/Budget for Rescheduled Activities
Original Budget for Rescheduled Activities FY 2007: $114,823
Proposed Budget for Rescheduled Activities FY 2008: $40,000
Explanation or Additional Information: The original budget and contract was not issued until September 1, 2007. Although we have made significant progress between then and now, we have been unable to complete two of our work elements. Rather than loose some of our programmed monies because the project is slightly behind in schedule, we wish to apply the requested $40,000 in remaining funds to these work elements, which will be expended during the next 2 years. This will include hiring field crews to pasteurize and distribute salmon carcasses and to do pre and post-treatment monitoring.

Section 3: Financial Information/Budget for Rescheduled Activities
Activity Description Original Start Date Original End Date New Start Date New End Date Condition/Situation Creating the Need to Reschedule Cost What Will Enable the Work to be Achieved Now?
44--enhance nutrients in stream.   9/1/2007  3/31/2008  4/1/2008  12/31/2008  Treatment and monitoring cannot occcur until summer and fall 2008. Award in 2007 reduces 3 year project to 2 field seasons (2008 and 2009)  $20,000  We hire crews to pasturize fish, deploy carcasses and analogs, and monitor beginning spring 2007. 
157--Collect, generate, validate, field and lab data  9/1/2007  3/31/2008  4/1/2008  12/31/2008  Treatment and monitoring cannot occur until summer and fall 2008. Award in 2007 reduces 3 year project to 2 field season (2008 and 2009).  $20,000  Field crews used to treat and deploy nutrients will monitor the results of treatments beginning spring 2008. 

Please explain why the following alternative funding solutions are not feasible and would jeopardize the project:
Reducing existing scope of project
(i.e., eliminating some activities planned for FY 2008 to accommodate the FY 2007 activities)
In cooperation with our partner, Idaho Power, we have already reduced the scope of the project in the following ways. We will be treating 14 streams in only the Boise and Payette basins due to logistics and budget limitations that prevent treatments in the Weiser and we will only be using pasteurized salmon carcasses and an analog treatment because an inorganic fertilizer was both economically and practically infeasible as our third treatment. And we have reduced monitoring of the terrestrial component to only one side of each treated stream to reduce monitoring costs. Further reductions in the scope of the project would be problematic in terms of determining mitigation treatments and their effects.
Shifting entire schedule
(i.e., deferring some FY 2008 activities to FY 2009 to avoid doubling up on activities this year)
We have initiated collection and pasteurization of salmon carcasses from Idaho hatcheries. These carcasses must be collected and stored until used. Further delay could result in loss of some carcasses from hatcheries and greater storage expense. Field crews and graduate students have been hired to initiate field work. Loss of funds requested will limit our ability to use them to implement the project and delay of the project would require us to let them go because of lack of funding. This would set us back to zero in terms of field implementation of the project and loss of qualified field personnel.

Section 4: Documents Pertaining to this Reschedule
No documents are associated with this request